Degenerative Joint Disease most commonly known as osteoarthritis is a painful degenerative condition that results in the deterioration of cartilage tissues that support the weight-bearing joints in the body. Once the cartilage is thinned or lost, the constant grinding of bones against each other causes pain and stiffness around the joint . Abnormal and excess bone formations called spurs grow from the damaged bones, causing further pain and stiffness. Statistics show that degenerative joint disease affects 80% of people over the age of 60.
Causes of Degenerative Joint Disease
Degenerative joint disease is most often caused by nothing more than the regular aging process, although environmental factors like injury, obesity, years of smoking, and prolonged repetitive activities can all exacerbate the onset of arthritis as well.
Symptoms of degenerative joint disease
- Localized pain at the site of the arthritic joint
- Pain that radiates along a nerve
- A feeling of stiffness or soreness
- Pain medication, muscle relaxants, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Physical therapy
- Deep tissue massage
- Low-impact exercises and stretching programs
- Healthy diet
- Behavior modification such as yoga, acupuncture, and herbal supplements
Chennai Brain and Spine provides advanced and sophisticated treatments for all types of brain and spine related disorders at affordable cost.